McLean Select Basketball
Coach Chaz Hazzan, Grade 5 Girls, Division 1
I have been coaching girls basketball for as long as I can remember. I coached both my daughters (who are now 31 and 28) in House and Select (Great Falls) as well AAU basketball with the Loudon Lasers. Both of my daughters also played HS basketball for Langley HS and at the AAU level.
I have had the honor of coaching in the FCYBL in three different cities: Great Falls, Chantilly, and McLean.
I played Division III College football at Marietta College in Ohio and received my MA from American University in Washington, DC in 1981. I grew up in Buffalo, NY and I am a big Syracuse basketball fan…Go CUSE! I currently live in Washington, DC.
I had the pleasure and enjoyment of coaching mostly the same group of young ladies for McLean basketball Select (A) teams:
2011 6th Grade: Runners up...lost in the championship game to Vienna
2012 7th Grade: FCYBL Champions (beat Vienna) (Player and coach of the year honors)
2013 8th Grade: Placed 3rd in the playoffs
Coaching Experience. I have extensive coaching experience at the Select, AAU, high school, and recreational level including:
McLean Select Basketball
· 2011-2012 6th Grade Division 1 head coach
· 2012- 2013 6th Grade Division 1 head coach
· 3013- 2014 6th Grade Division 1 head coach
Chantilly Select Basketball
· 2010-2011 12U Division 1 head coach
· 2009-2010 11U, Division 1 head coach
· 2008-2009 14U Head coach – tied for League champs, coached MVP
Great Falls Select Basketball
· Head coach for 2004, 2005, and 2006 at 11U, 12U, and 14U, respectively
· *2006, League champs (17-1), Tournament champs, coached MVP, and Most Valuable Coach
· Fairfax Stars Summer League all three years, including 2005 Fairfax Stars Summer League Champs
· Great Falls Select Assistant Coach from 2000, 2001, 2002 at 11U, 12U and 14U, respectively
Langley High School
· Fall Program, JV, 2009
· Summer Program, Varsity, 2006
· Fall Program, Varsity, 2006
· Summer Program, JV, 2005; 2005 Falls Church League Summer Champs
· Fall Program, JV, 2005
· Loudon Lasers, AAU, assistant coach in 2003 at 14U
· Great Falls House League: Head coach: 2001, 2002, 2003
· Cardinal Dougherty HS (Buffalo, NY) assistant JV football coach, 1978
· 2009 Chantilly Youth Association Volunteer of the Year
I only have three major rules that he coaches by:
1. 110% Hustle 100% of the time
2. Team over individual
3. Have fun
I believe there are three ingredients for success:
1. Physical toughness
2. Mental focus
3. Plenty of Heart
Bring all three ingredients to a game and you will come out on top 99% of the time.
Talent is great to have, but toughness and hustle win most games.
My high school coach always used to say: “it’s not the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog” that wins most of the time.
I tell the players; our goal is to win every game. However, if we have to lose; let’s make sure that we never get beat. There is a big difference.
At the end of the day; it’s all about the kids and it’s our job (coaches and parents) to make sure that they have a positive experience.